Servings: 12 serving(s)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
These wholesome cranberry orange bran muffins include whole wheat flour, flax seeds for texture, a bit of nutmeg for flavour and dried cranberries instead of raisins. I add the zest of an orange to give them a bit more zip.
Who doesn’t love a good bran muffin?
That’s a bit of a joke — I know loads of people who won’t go near them. I’m convinced it’s because there are too many flavourless, leaden bran muffins out there.
Commercial muffins are the worst. (Have you noticed that when a variety of muffins are placed on a tray together the bran muffins are always last to go?)
I happen to love bran muffins because they’re filling and (usually) have lots of good stuff in them. My mom’s bran muffins were the best, the kind that you’d mix up and leave in the fridge so you could bake them on a whim. I used to dip into the batter because I loved the texture and the tanginess from the buttermilk and I was usually too rushed or impatient to wait for them to come out of the oven.
As muffins go, bran muffin recipes have great potential, which is why this recipe caught my eye. It includes whole wheat flour, flax seeds for texture, a bit of nutmeg for flavour and dried cranberries instead of raisins. I add the zest of an orange to give them a bit more zip.
Orange Cranberry Bran Muffins
Makes 12 generous muffins
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- ¾ cup All-Bran-style cereal
- ½ cup natural bran (aka baker’s bran)
- 2/3 cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup flax seeds
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup dried cranberries or blueberries
- In a bowl stir together the buttermilk, bran cereal and natural bran. Let stand 10 minutes then stir in the molasses, oil and egg.
- In a large bowl combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt and orange zest.
- Pour over the buttermilk mixture and the cranberries and stir gently, just until combined.
- Spoon into greased muffin tins.
- Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.
Nutritional info, per muffin:
Do you prefer your bran muffins plain? Try my mom’s low fat bran muffin recipe:
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more. Here’s the link to subscribe.