Delicious Streusel Topped Rhubarb Muffins
These are light-textured rhubarb muffins and not too sweet. I dice the rhubarb quite small to avoid getting a soggy mouthful but suit yourself.
Feel free to use oil instead of melted butter (although you will sacrifice a little flavour). Ginger is a lovely replacement for cinnamon and lemon zest could stand-in for the orange zest.Print
Streusel Topped Rhubarb Muffins
- Cook Time: 18 mins
- Total Time: 18 minutes
- Yield: 12–13 muffins 1x
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- ¼ cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 2–1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Zest of one orange
- 1 cup sour cream or yogurt
- ½ cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. orange flower water (optional)
- 1–1/2 cups diced rhubarb
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. soft butter
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper cups.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt and whisk to blend.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sour cream, melted butter, molasses, eggs, vanilla, the zest of one orange and orange flower water until smooth. Gently stir the sour cream mixture into the dry ingredients until the batter just comes together; do not overmix. Gently stir in the diced rhubarb. The batter will be thick.
- Divide the batter among the muffin cups. The batter should mound a bit higher than the tops of the cups.
- Make the topping: In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and butter and rub together with your fingers. Sprinkle over each muffin.
- Bake the muffins until they’re golden brown and spring back when gently pressed for about 18 minutes. Transfer to a rack and let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 to 10 minutes. Carefully lift the muffins out of the pan and let them cool. Serve warm.
Keywords: rhubarb muffins, muffins, rhubarb
Cannot find the nutritional breakdown for these muffins. Could you please send it.
Hello Sue. Unfortunately, we do not have the nutritional value for this recipe. Sorry. -Marie at Crosby’s Kitchen
I never post comments but this one I just had to. Now these muffins are super delicious I even froze some and they are just as fresh. I will be making them until I don’t have anymore rubarb in my garden lol
I like the idea that their is only 1/2 cup of sugar, healthier
Thank you Bridget for your recipe.
Thank you Claire for your glowing comment!
I am always looking for recipes with molasses as I love the flavour that it brings. E were oils you be book kind enough to send me your cookbook mentioned above book in the comments. I am now going to make the ruhbarb muffins. They sound hers TV
I made these today and they are so light and fluffy with a beautiful taste. I used brown sugar in the streusel and it’s just the right amount to sprinkle a little over all of them. Spot on with bake time. Will definitely keep this yummy fresh recipe a constant in our kitchen! Thank you
Hi Denise, Thanks for letting me know. So glad you enjoyed the recipe.
I made the rhubarb muffins. Delicious. Didn’t have orange flower water, so I used orange juice. What is orange flower water? I never seen it in the stores.
Orange Blossom Water is a flower water that’s made from the blossoms on orange trees. It’s a wonderfully floral, citrus flavor to add to baked goods, salads, and drinks.
What is orange flower water?
Will orange juice work as well?
Hi Mary, Orange flower is almost like a light syrup that’s scented with orange blossoms. We can get it now in the international foods section of the grocery store. You could use lemon juice instead.
love these I am diabetic but I let myself have one now and then…I adore baking so put out some low sugar desserts just for me…
Just found this recipe…delicious!!!
Would they freeze well?
Hi Angus, These muffins will free okay but the streusel can get a little sticky when they’re thawing.
checked my Rhubarb,they are ready ,so I made a dozen muffins came out so nice and they are delicious,Thank you!
Hi Hector, glad the recipe turned out well for you!
I love Rhubarb and grow it myself so I would surely like to try those muffins etc. Thank you for posting those delicious recipes.
Made these muffins on the weekend. Was lucky enough to get ONE!! They disappeared faster then I knew! Great recipe, Thank you!!
Pleased that they were a success, Chris!
Made them today and they are delicious
Can I purchase “Molasses and More” Cookbook?
Hi Linda, We’d be happy to send you a copy, free of charge. I’ll touch base via email to get your mailing address.
I don’t see on your recipe where you add the Molasses. I assume with the wet ingredients.
I am making it now so I hope that is it.
Hi Maggie, Yes, molasses is added with the wet ingredients. Sorry. So glad you let me know — I have updated the recipe.
And I. Couldn’t see the zest in mixing all Ingredients
You are right! We forgot to add the zest in our instructions. Thanks for pointing that out. It’s not fixed.