10 Best Rhubarb Recipes To Try Before Summer
Tart and tangy rhubarb is easy to incorporate into wholesome baked goods. We’re sharing our best rhubarb recipes so you can enjoy the fresh taste of spring while you wait for summer fruit to arrive.
A chilly spring in New Brunswick means that rhubarb season is just getting underway…
Here are a few tips for baking with rhubarb. Be sure to add your tips to the comments below.
- Rhubarb Muffins work best with fresh rhubarb and the firm stalks of fresh rhubarb hold their shape well for Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake , Rhubarb Cornbread Cake and Roasted Rhubarb Gingerbread.
- Frozen rhubarb is very forgiving when you make compote and is a good companion for other fruit, including strawberries and apples. Frozen rhubarb works well in Rhubarb Crisp too since you don’t need to worry about the stalks holding their shape.
Be sure to add your tips to the comments below!
Pick your favourite(s) from our list of 10 best rhubarb recipes below, including a unique Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce.
Our 10 Best Rhubarb RecipesPrint
Roasted Rhubarb Cornbread Cake
Easy Roasted Rhubarb Cornbread Cake is the ultimate summer treat. Naturally sweetened with molasses and honey or maple syrup.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Cakes
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup cornmeal (fine or medium)
- 2 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1/3 tsp. salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup plus 3 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 2 Tbsp. honey or maple syrup
- ¾ cup cold milk
- 1 egg white
- 4–6 stalks of rhubarb
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line an 8″x 8″ pan with parchment paper or grease it well.*
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay the washed rhubarb on top. Sprinkle over 2 Tbsp. of sugar and bake for 5-10 minutes, until the rhubarb is tender.
- Remove and let cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 F.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl beat the butter and gradually add the sugar. Beat in the egg yolk then the molasses and honey or maple syrup.
- Mix in the dry ingredients in three additions, alternating with the milk (beginning and ending with the flour mixture.)
- Beat the egg white to stiff peaks and fold into the batter.
- Scrape into prepared pan and lay the soft rhubarb on top of the batter. Sprinkle over remaining Tbsp. of sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden and the top springs back when lightly touched. Serve warm or room temperature.
- Calories: 194.5
- Sugar: 17.4 g
- Sodium: 214.9 mg
- Fat: 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.9 g
- Fiber: 0.5 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 50.7 mg
Keywords: rhubarb, cornbread cake, rhubarb cornbread