Whole Wheat Zucchini Pancakes
Whole wheat zucchini pancakes are hearty and wholesome and include one serving of vegetables in each portion.
I’m a proponent of pancakes for supper. And it isn’t just a Shrove Tuesday thing. Some days, having breakfast for supper is just what everyone needs.
But then there is always the question of vegetables, as in “How do you pair vegetables with pancakes and syrup?” It’s a good question since suppertime is usually the only time of day that my kids eat vegetables.
The solution: Whole wheat zucchini pancakes (for breakfast, brunch, or supper). It’s an easy way to slip a few vegetables into a comfort food meal.
Pancakes make a great lunchbox meal too. Just cut the pancakes into bite-sized pieces and pack in a reusable container with a serving of maple syrup (or a molasses-maple syrup blend) on the side. Here’s how to make a molasses-maple syrup blend: 3 Tbsp. maple syrup and 1 Tbsp. molasses.
This recipe is adapted from the wonderful website, Pinch of Yum.Print
Whole Wheat Zucchini Pancakes
- Yield: 8 1x
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp. flour
- ½ cup whole wheat or spelt flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. flax meal (ground flaxseed)
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 cup coarsely shredded zucchini
- In a large bowl whisk the dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl whisk the eggs then add the oil, milk, and molasses.
- Add the wet to the dry and stir until almost incorporated.
- Stir in the zucchini and mix until combined.
- Drop by 1/3 cup measure on a medium-hot, well-greased frying pan.
- Flip when the batter is set and the edges lose their wet look.
- Keep warm until ready to eat.
- Drizzle with maple syrup, or a molasses maple syrup blend (3 Tbsp. maple syrup and 1 Tbsp. molasses)
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: zucchini pancakes, pancakes, whole wheat pancakes
We enjoyed these pancakes and they are now our go to pancake. Our garden this year has lots of zucchini growing as a result.
Could you please consider adding weights/metric measurements to your recipes? For recipes that have things like 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons flour, I would love to know the weight of that (in any unit) so I can use my scale. Thanks.
Thank you for the suggestion Maggie! -Marie at Crosby’s Kitchen
I would like to see metric weight measurements as well.
I have made these many times,,,and they are delicious. Thank you Bridget!
Thanks so much for the recipe! Very easy to make. I’m gonna try it this weekend.
Megan, I hope you had a chance to make the pancakes. Enjoy!
Can I use gluteen free flour in your recipes instead of regular flour,and if so is it the same measurement as I am not good in that kinda stuff.
Yes, you may use gluten free flour in equal portions. This works for the cookies, muffins and cakes. Not so good in any yeast recipes. Enjoy!
I love trying new pancake recipes and this one looks delicious. Will be trying this one soon. :)
Another good use for zucchini. Give them a try and let me know how you liked them.