Servings: 16 serving(s)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
These wholesome banana bran muffins are sweetened with molasses and mashed banana. They’re moist, beautifully textured and filled with healthy ingredients.
Banana Bran Muffins are one of my favourite mid-morning snacks.
This is one of those recipes that can be a good stand-in for breakfast if you’re on the go. The muffins are filled with healthy ingredients and contain lots of fiber so help you feel full longer.
Don’t flinch at the raisins. In this recipe half of the raisins are blended into the batter to help to sweeten the muffins and provide extra moisture. I use Thompson raisins and soften them slightly with water (see method) to help with the texture.
I like to garnish my muffins with thin slices of banana. I just lay the slice on top of each muffin before they go in the oven. It makes the muffins look nice but is only a good option if the muffins are to be consumed within a day.
Do you prefer gluten-free banana muffins? Try our recipe for GF Banana Flax Muffins.
This recipe is adapted from the always excellent recipe blog, The Cafe Sucre Farine.
Banana Bran Muffins
Makes about 16 muffins
- 1 cup raisins (Thompson)
- 2 tsp. water
- 1 ½ cups wheat bran (natural bran)
- ½ cup old fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
- ¾ cup flour, spooned in
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour, spooned in
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 1 ½ bananas)
- ½ cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- ½ cup Greek yogurt (plain)
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup oil (grape seed, canola or olive)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F. Line muffin cups with papers or grease them well.
- In a medium pot combine the raisins with 2 tsp. of water. Cook over medium heat until warmed. Remove from heat. (Raisins can also we warmed in a microwave.)
- In a large bowl combine the wheat bran, oatmeal, flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add ½ cup of the raisins and stir until well combined.
- In a blender or food processor combine the remaining ½ cup of raisins, banana, molasses, yogurt, milk, oil and eggs. Whir for about 30 seconds.
- Pour in the wet ingredients into the dry and stir just until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350˚F and bake for another 10 minutes or until muffins are set.
- Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more. Here’s the link to subscribe.