Servings: 6-8 serving(s)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 33 minutes
Cooking time: 18 minutes
Gingerbread scones with vanilla glaze are delicious, beautifully textured and quick to mix up.
I think you should take a little time for “you” in the lead up to Christmas. With all the busyness, a few minutes of time to yourself is just what you need and I suggest you enjoy your quiet time with these gingerbread scones.
That’s what I did on the weekend. After a Saturday of baking cookies I saved Sunday morning just for me and made a batch of these scones to enjoy with a cup of tea.
Gingerbread scones are the perfect counter to Christmas baking. They aren’t too sweet (even with the pretty glaze) and have a comforting texture. The spicing is fairly light and can be doubled if you want a stronger gingerbread flavour.
As with all quick breads, gingerbread scones are best eaten within a couple of days. My favourite way to enjoy them is right out of the oven.
Gingerbread Scones with Vanilla Glaze
- 2 cups flour, spooned in (can use 1/2 cup whole wheat)
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. gingerbread spice (or half cinnamon, half ginger)
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- ½ cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- Scant 1/4 cup of Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- ½ tsp. vanilla
To make the scones:
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, spices and sugar.
- Cut in the butter until it’s pea-sized. (You can do this step in the food processor.)
- In a small bowl whisk together the molasses and milk. Pour over the flour mixture and stir to combine.
- When mixture almost comes together scrape onto a lightly floured counter and knead to combine.
- Gather dough into a ball and gently press it into the shape of a disk about ¾” thick. Place on prepared sheet.
- Score into eight wedges.
- Bake for about 18 minutes, or until golden and the top springs back slightly when touched.
- Whisk together the glaze ingredients.
- Let scones cool for about 10 minutes then pour over the glaze.
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more. Here’s the link to subscribe.