10 Scrumptious Mother’s Day Desserts
There are lots of ways to say “I love you” but we think that homemade says it best.
Taking the time and care to bake a special treat or prepare a special meal in honour of someone who makes your world go round is such a sincere gesture.
Here are 10 sweet treats meant for the extra special people in your life.
Pecan Pie Squares have a deliciously rich and gooey centre and a buttery shortbread base. They’re like candy, only better.Print
Pecan pie squares recipe
Pecan pie squares recipe: rich, buttery and so irresistible. You can never eat just one. Easier to make, and to serve, than a pecan pie.
- Category: Candy & Sweet Treats
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¾ cup butter (cold, cut into small pieces)
- 2 cups pecan halves, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chocolate chips (or chopped semisweet chocolate)
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 5 eggs
- ¾ cup corn syrup
- ¼ cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- Combine flour and salt in a food processor. Add butter and process on/off until it is tiny bits and the dough is just starting to come together.
- Pat the dough into bottom of a 13 x 9 inch oiled and parchment lined pan.
- Bake crust in 350 ˚ oven for 20 – 25 min until lightly browned. Cool for 30 min. at room temp. Sprinkle with pecans and chocolate.
- In a food processor (or with a mixer), cream butter and brown sugar for 3 min. Beat in eggs one at a time. Beat in corn syrup, molasses, flour and vanilla. Pour over pecans and chocolate.
- Spread filling over baked crust and bake 30-35 min or until a knife comes out clean (I can’t imagine this happening!)
- Cool for one hour before cutting into squares. Don protective clothing and share with guests or take pan to a quiet place and enjoy.
From Bonnie Stern: Friday Night Dinners
Dress up any cake in an instant when you drizzle it with this speedy Coffee Toffee Sauce. Great for toffee lovers, and coffee lovers.
Continuing along with the coffee theme this Gingerbread Cake with Coffee and Chocolate is a cake for celebrating. It’s bursting with flavour and has just the right texture to keep it all grounded.
Silky Molasses Butter Tarts are just about the most decadent dessert we have. Rich with butter and baked in homemade pastry cups these tarts are meant for indulging.
This Ginger Molasses Ice Cream is like a cool and creamy molasses candy kiss. Serve it on its own or alongside a simple white cake.
If you’re in search of gluten-free options for your special dessert you’ll love this Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie. It’s everything that wonderful about a chewy chocolate chip cookie, only bigger. Serve it on its own or with a scoop of ice cream.
A crumb cake has an old-fashioned sort of specialness to it. With a buttery crumb topping, this Molasses Crumb Cake is special in a nostalgic kind of way.
This is another cake for coffee lovers. Made with good strong coffee this Espresso Molasses Cake can have a rich espresso flavour that pairs beautifully with molasses. Scale back on the strength of your coffee if you want a milder coffee flavour. You can bake this cake in a pretty bundt pan too.
This Soaked Ginger Cake is decadent beyond its appearance. It may seem like an old-fashioned gingerbread with a simple brown sugar sauce – and it is – except that it’s really infused with the buttery sauce. Served with more sauce on the side this can become an over-the-top dessert.
Chocolate and ginger – such a lovely flavour pairing, especially in this extra moist cake. Made with stout beer our Guinness Chocolate Gingerbread has a texture like no other. It needs nothing but a light sprinkling of icing sugar.