Servings: many serving(s)
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
This molasses pull taffy recipe is easy to follow and great fun to make with kids. (Or Amazing Race Canada teams.)
Who doesn’t love an old fashioned taffy pull?
When I was little, making this molasses pull taffy recipe was great fun. Slathering our hands with butter and pulling great gobs of soft taffy into glossy brittle strands was just about the ultimate in kitchen fun.
But then there’s competitive taffy pulling…
Amazing Race Canada takes the Molasses Pull Taffy Challenge:
An old fashioned taffy pull became a competitive sport last spring when The Amazing Race Canada teams visited our plant in Saint John during filming for the show’s fourth season.
Teams were challenged to make a triple batch of this old Crosby’s molasses pull taffy recipe:
Cooking under pressure is stressful. All four teams arrived at our plant for the sticky challenge – a four-way cook-off — in a race to be the first to complete the task.
“A watched pot never boils”, so the saying goes…
In a race where time is everything, waiting for the taffy mixture to come to temperature was more than a little painful (even for those of us who were spectators). And waiting for it to cool enough to handle…
In the end all four teams met the challenge and raced off to St. Andrews for the next leg of the competition.
Now is your chance to compete…Print
Molasses Pull Taffy
An old fashioned candy recipe that’s great fun to make with kids.
- ½ cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 ½ Tbsp. vinegar
- ½ cup water
- ¼ tsp. cream of tartar
- ¼ cup butter
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda
- In a heavy bottomed pot, combine molasses, sugar, vinegar and water. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring often, until mixture reaches 255 F (or when a small amount dropped in cold water turns hard).
- Remove from heat and add butter, cream of tartar and baking soda. Pour onto a buttered, sided cookie sheet.
- When cool enough to handle, pull pieces of taffy until light in color. (Butter hands before pulling).
- Twist and cut into 1” pieces. Wrap in parchment paper.
Get new recipes every week…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive a weekly recipe email and monthly newsletter. (Newsletter includes giveaways, cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more.)Sign up for our Newsletter