Servings: 18-24 serving(s)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
When you want just a little something sweet, as an afternoon snack or after supper nibble, chocolate chip banana muffins are just the thing. Made wholesome with whole wheat flour, unsweetened coconut and yogurt.
My dining room table makes a pretty good home office. It feels appropriate given that I work in food.
Those I feed are sitting nearby and the kitchen is just three steps to my right. I have a view of the yard, of birds flitting about, and I have been keeping track of a pair of mallard ducks that likes to wander down to our little stream.
We’re a lucky bunch here, for all sorts of reasons, but mostly because we’re tuning ourselves into the simply joys in each day.
“I will look for reasons to feel good and I will find them.”
I always find joy in the kitchen – and that’s under normal circumstances. Now, with so many people spending more time in the kitchen – for comfort, or necessity, or both – I’m feeling even more inspired. And that means I have all kinds of new recipe ideas to share with you.
Which brings me to this new recipe for Tropical Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins. It’s a recipe I have had kicking around for years, inspired by a recipe from Leite’s Culinaria.
The recipe is a true cross between a cake and a wholesome muffin. The muffins aren’t quite as sweet as a slice of cake and the texture is so lovely. The recipe calls for chocolate chips but you could substitute walnuts or pecans.Print
Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
Made with whole wheat flour, bananas, yogurt and coconut these muffins have a lovely flavour and texture. They’re a little wholesome and so satisfying.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 24 1x
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil (I use grapeseed)
- 3 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (or flavoured, if that’s all you have)
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 3 lg. eggs, room temp.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Line muffin pans with paper liners or grease them well.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flours, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl whisk the bananas with the sugar, oil, molasses, yogurt and vanilla. Whisk in eggs, one at a time.
- Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir until almost combined. Stir in coconut and chocolate chips.
- Spoon into prepared muffins pans, place pans in the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the tops are golden and spring back when lightly touched.
Substitute walnuts or pecans for the chocolate chips if you’d prefer the muffins to be less sweet.
This batter can be baked in mini banana bread tins. (Adjust baking time accordingly).
Subscribe to our recipe updates…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more. Here’s the link to subscribe.