Servings: 10-12 serving(s)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hours 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hours 15 minutes
This fresh ginger cake recipe (a true gingerbread) is moist and beautifully spiced with fresh ginger, powdered ginger, cloves and a little pepper.
Warmly spiced cakes are cold weather comfort food and the spicier the better when the temperature dips.
Winter arrived early on the East Coast and our November cold snap has continued into December. This is gingerbread weather. Even the scent of a gingerbread in the oven can make the house feel warmer.
This is a recipe from my Aunt Nana, my mom’s sister who loves to share recipes. She has a keen eye for recipes that she knows my mom, and the rest of my family, will love.
Fresh Ginger Cake has been a great dinner party dessert for us this fall. It feeds a crowd and you might have leftovers, which is always a treat.
Tip: The recipe calls for the cake to be made in a spring-form pan but more often than not I make it in a tube pan. If you choose a tube pan be sure to grease and flour the pan well. This is an especially moist cake so can be a little tricky loosening it from the centre tube.
Serve it with molasses Greek yogurt — add 1-2 Tbsp. of molasses to each cup of plain Greek yogurt.
Fresh Ginger Cake Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup fancy molasses
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup oil
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- ¼ cup minced fresh ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a 91/2″ spring-form pan and line the bottom with parchment. Or use a large tube pan (see tip).
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and pepper.
- In a large bowl, beat together molasses and sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then carefully beat in the oil and mix until well blended. Add flour mixture and blend until just combined.
- In small bowl, stir soda into boiling water.
- Quickly add to batter along with minced ginger. Mix just until blended.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9 ½” spring-form pan or bundt pan.
- Bake about one hour, adding up to 15 min extra if necessary.
- If top browns to quickly loosely cover with foil.
- Cool 30 mins in pan on a wire rack.
- Run a knife around edge. Remove sides
Makes 10 –12 servings.
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more. Here’s the link to subscribe.