A Sweet and Spicy Hamburger: The Mo Burger (+ video)
A sweet and spicy hamburger that’s flavourful and stays moist.
We know purists prefer to make their burgers with just salt and pepper, and may be an egg yolk to help bind it together but we prefer burgers that are tender and well-seasoned.
A good spicy salsa and a little molasses keep the burgers moist and the Worcestershire sauce adds extra flavour and a salty taste without much salt.
Brush these with our Sweet Chili Barbecue Sauce during the last few minutes of grilling for an extra kick of flavours.
A Sweet and Spicy Hamburger: The Mo Burger
A Sweet and Spicy Hamburger – the Mo Burger: a simple flavourful burger that stays moist. Seasoned with salsa, Worcestershire sauce and molasses.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Savoury dishes
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 1/2 medium onion, grated
- 1 Tbsp. salsa (spicy) or ketchup
- 3 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce or steak sauce
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 pound lean (or extra lean) ground beef
- In a saucepan over medium heat, warm the oil until it shimmers then add the onion & salsa. Saute until the onion starts to brown then remove from heat and scrape into a bowl. Whisk in molasses, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Crumble over the beef and gently combine without overmixing. Form into 4 patties, about ¾” thick.
- Grill the burgers, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 165°F, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Serve with your favourite toppings.
Tried this. it was tasty
So happy to hear!
This is now my favorite BEEF burger recipe. Because of how moist it is, I am going to try it with BISON meat.
Hi Laura, I’m so pleased you’re enjoying the burger recipe. Hope it was great with bison too.
Burgers sound very good , must try to- night
Looks really good and yummy
Lynne M. Westover
I have made this burger several times and I love the recipe. I use ketchup and Worcestershire sauce when I make mine. I live in the US and do not have Crosby’s Fancy molasses where I shop so I use light molasses.
Hi Lynne, Thanks for letting me know you love the Mo Burger. It’s wonderful to get feedback on our recipes.
this peaks my interest. I grew up on homemade bread and molasses dipped in a bowl of fresh cream,. fine while I was young now i’m trying to go vegan/vegetarian
This looks like a completely different burger. For sure going to try this one.
Hi Randolph. hope you enjoy!