Servings: 36 brownies serving(s)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Make a healthy version of an old-time favourite: Fudgy brownies, filled with zucchini, flax and whole wheat flour.
These are healthy compromise brownies. They’re sweet and fudgy but made healthier with zucchini, ground flax, whole wheat flour and much less sugar than your average brownie recipe. Molasses helps to make them taste more chocolaty and chocolate chips add nuggets of sweet and extra texture to each bite.
Lower in fat but still fudgy:
Baking with vegetables is a good way to add nutrition to your brownies, cookies and muffins, and vegetables help to keep baked goods moist. Zucchini is versatile because it is tender and doesn’t have a lot of flavour on its own. And if you like to count calories, you’ll find these zucchini brownies are filling at just 106 calories each.
Zucchini brownies are easy for kids to bake on their own:
Healthy zucchini brownies have become a school lunchbox treat for the final few weeks of school. With all of us tired of the school lunch routine (and school in general), easy treats like this create a nice diversion. They’re also easy for kids to bake on their own.
You’ll be tempted to bake them longer than 40 minutes. If you want fudgy brownies, stick to the 35-40 minute range. They’ll still be yummy if you bake them for 45 minutes, but they’ll be more cake-like.
This recipe is adapted from an earlier recipe for Zucchini Brownies posted on this website.
Heathy Zucchini Brownie Recipe
Makes 36 brownies
- ½ cup grapeseed oil or melted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 5 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat or spelt flour
- ¼ cup ground flax
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 cups shredded zucchini, excess liquid squeezed out*
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp. chocolate chips
- Line a 9”x 9” pan with parchment paper or grease it well.**
- Whisk together butter, sugar, vanilla and molasses. Add egg and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk flours, flax, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add this mixture to the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Fold in the zucchini and ½ a cup of the chocolate chips.
- Spread in prepared pan. Sprinkle over remaining 2 Tbsp. of chocolate chips and press them in a bit.
- Bake at 350 F for 35 to 40 minutes
*Grate the zucchini on the large-hole side of a box grater. A handful at a time, squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
** This recipe works well in a 9″ x 13″ pan too. Adjust baking time accordingly.
Nutritional info: Per brownie (when made with butter).
- Calories: 106,
- Fat: 4 g,
- Saturated Fat: 2.4 g,
- Cholesterol: 12.4 mg,
- Carbs: 15.8 g,
- Sugar: 9.1 g,
- Sodium: 109 mg,
- Fibre: 1.4 g,
- Protein: 1.8 g,
- Potassium: 125 mg
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more. Here’s the link to subscribe. follow