Grand Mother LaPointe’s Old Fashioned Baked Beans
This old fashioned baked beans recipe is a classic oven-baked version. The beans are cooked from dried and flavoured with lots of smoky bacon and just a little ketchup.
There’s nothing better than old family recipes. They become family favourites for a reason — always dependable and delicious. This old fashioned baked beans recipe is a Quebecois recipe from the grand mother of one of our colleague, Marie-Pierre. She prepared them in a large bean crock but any heavy covered pot will do.
Baked Beans Tips:
- Be sure to give yourself enough time to soak the beans overnight.
- The larger the beans the longer they’ll take to cook.
- The older the beans the longer they’ll take to cook.
- Keep an eye on your beans as they bake and top them up with water as often as necessary. You never want them to dry out.
- Baked beans freeze well.
Grandmother LaPointe’s Old Fashioned Baked Beans
A classic molasses baked beans recipe cooked in the oven. Dried beans must be soaked overnight before preparing the recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 hours
- Cook Time: 3-4 hours
- Total Time: 14 hours
- Category: Savoury dishes
- 2 1/2 cups dry white beans or dry navy beans
- Soaking water
- 1 cup bacon, diced
- 1 cup of Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 2 Tbsp. ketchup
- 1 onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl or pot, soak the beans in water overnight. (Make sure the beans are well covered with water throughout the soaking time.)
- Drain beans, cover with water again and boil for 10 minutes.
- Drain the beans.
- Preheat the oven to 300F.
- Pour the beans into an ovenproof casserole dish or bean crock.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Season generously with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix well.
- Add enough water to just cover the beans.
- Cover with a lid and bake for 3 hours, adding more water as needed.
- Continue cooking until beans are tender.
You can remove the lid for the final 30 minutes of cooking to help thicken the sauce.
Thé recopie i been doing for years
Almost like my poor mom baked beans only think I did different is other sugers and done with all light ingredients cause we’re diebetes & got same results :)
Very much like my mom’s wonderful baked beans, we also added a couple of dashes of liquid smoke and a wee amount of whiskey BBQ sauce to the final 30 min cooking time.
Whiskey BBQ sauce on baked beans? That sounds delicious!