Grandmother LaPointe’s Old Fashioned Baked Beans
A classic molasses baked beans recipe cooked in the oven. Dried beans must be soaked overnight before preparing the recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 hours
- Cook Time: 3-4 hours
- Total Time: 48 minute
- 2 1/2 cups dry white beans or dry navy beans
- Soaking water
- 1 cup bacon, diced
- 1 cup of Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 2 Tbsp. ketchup
- 1 onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl or pot, soak the beans in water overnight. (Make sure the beans are well covered with water throughout the soaking time.)
- Drain beans, cover with water again and boil for 10 minutes.
- Drain the beans.
- Preheat the oven to 300F.
- Pour the beans into an ovenproof casserole dish or bean crock.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Season generously with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix well.
- Add enough water to just cover the beans.
- Cover with a lid and bake for 3 hours, adding more water as needed.
- Continue cooking until beans are tender.
You can remove the lid for the final 30 minutes of cooking to help thicken the sauce.