Whenever I see cans or jars of roasted nuts I think of my dad. He loved to nibble salty peanuts and cashews along with a drink before supper so as kids that’s what we’d often buy him for his birthday and for Christmas.
His birthday was December 21st so by the time Christmas arrived the house was usually full of nuts (so to speak). Sometimes he’d hide the special tins in his armoire (along with his fudge) but more often than not there would be a bowlful of mixed nuts on the table before supper.
I always liked the almonds best and used to pick them out of the bowls of mixed nuts. That`s why I use almonds in this recipe rather than the pecans originally called for. I also amped up the spices since I like more than a hint of that gingerbread taste. (The original recipe came off the LCBO Food & Drink website.)
I sometimes make these to give as gifts, or to bring as a hostess gift when we`re invited out to eat. If you`re having friends over these are a speedy (and delicious) nibble with drinks before supper.
Gingerbread spiced almonds
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cloves
- Pinch cayenne or a few grinds of black pepper
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 2 cups raw almonds (or your favourite nut)
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat melt the butter with molasses, sugar, spices and salt.
- Stir to combine and continue to stir until sugar has dissolved.
- When mixture starts to bubble add nuts and stir until well coated.
- Turn nuts onto a parchment lined baking sheet, spread in a single layer, and bake at 300 until nuts are nicely toasted, about 20 minutes.
- Stir from time to time while baking and begin testing after 15 minutes or so (you don’t want the nuts to get too brown).
- Cool and break into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email.
We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. Our Making Life Delicious newsletter includes cooking tips, menu ideas and featured recipes. Here’s the link to our monthly email sign-up form.