Ginger Spice Molasses Cookies & How To Use Cookie Stamps
A tender molasses cookie dressed up for the holidays with festive cookie stamps.
There’s something about a tender molasses spice cookie that can make people swoon, especially at Christmastime. Most festive molasses cookies are firm or chewy, which is delicious too but sometimes it’s a treat to enjoy a festive looking cookie that has a tender crumb.
It’s also a treat to put our new cookie stamps to work. A gift from Nordic Ware these vintage cast aluminum stamps can turn a very ordinary cookie into something that suits the holidays.
We used to stamp our cookies before we put them in the oven and was always a bit disappointed that the design didn’t hold well, even with biscuit-like cookies. So now we know the trick, thanks to A Pretty Life blog for teaching us how to best use cookie stamps. Partially bake your cookies first, pull them out of the oven just long enough to press them with the stamp and then slide them back in for the final few minutes of baking.
Ginger Spice Molasses Cookies
Ginger spice molasses cookies have a deliciously tender crumb and a gentle spice flavour. Recipe includes how to decorate them with festive cookie stamps
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4¾ cups of flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar. Whisk in the eggs one at a time.In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, ginger and cinnamon.
- Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture, then the molasses and milk, then the remaining flour mixture. Mix until combined then gather the dough into a ball and cut it in two.
- Chill the dough for an hour or overnight, if you have time.
When you’re ready to bake the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- On a lightly floured surface roll dough about 1/4“ inch thick and cut into rounds about the size of your cookie stamps.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes, remove from the oven and quickly press the cookie stamp into each of the cookies. Return to the oven for 3-5 more minutes.
- If you’re not using a cookie press just bake your cut out cookies for 8-10 minutes.