Servings: 6-8 serving(s)
Prep time: 6 hours
Total time: 6 hours
Ginger Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches start with spicy ginger crinkle cookies. Sandwiched in the middle is a ginger molasses toffee crunch ice cream that’s a cinch to make. The result is the best ice cream sandwich ever.
This outstanding treat starts with spicy ginger crinkle cookies that are not quite soft and not quite chewy. It’s the perfect cookie texture to serve as top and bottom of an ice cream sandwich.
These spicy ginger cookies are a favourite recipe of mine because they always turn out beautifully and the dough requires no chilling so you can get the cookies right in the oven.
To portion these cookies I have taken to using a medium cookie scoop for speed, ease and because it keeps the cookies uniform in size. You’ll appreciate that when you’re making ice cream sandwiches or using any sort of filling. (Have you tried lemon butter cream with ginger cookies?)
Then, sandwiched in the middle is an extra creamy ginger molasses ice cream studded with crunchy toffee bits (aka Skor bar). This no-churn recipe couldn’t be easier. All you need are beaters, a freezer and six hours of patience to wait for the creamy mixture to freeze.
Spicy Ginger Molasses Crinkle Cookies
- ¾ cups butter, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/3 cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour (spooned in)
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tbsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. salt
- Sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Cream butter and sugar until sugar is no longer gritty and mixture is light in colour.
- Beat in the egg then the molasses.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, spices and salt. Beat into the butter mixture in three additions.
- Scoop dough in 1 ½ Tbsp. portions and form into balls
- Place extra sugar in a bowl and roll cookies in sugar.
- Place on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake 12-15 minutes until set and crackly on top.
Hopefully you have made the ice cream in advance so you don’t have to wait six hours to enjoy your ice cream sandwich.
Ginger Toffee Crunch No-Churn Ice Cream
- 1 can (300 ml) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ tsp. powdered ginger
- 2 Skor bars, chopped
- Line a 9×5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk and the molasses.
- In a large bowl whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Drizzle in the condensed milk mixture and powdered ginger and continue to whip until all the condensed milk is incorporated into the cream and the mixture is thick.
- Fold in about 2/3 of the chopped score bar.
- Scrape mixture into the prepared pan. Even out the top and sprinkle over the remaining Skor bar bits.
- Cover and freeze for at least 6 hours.
To assemble ginger cookie ice cream sandwiches:
Sandwich a scoop of ice cream between two cookies :)
- I prefer to eat them immediately so the cookies are on the soft side and the ice cream slowly melts. I serve these on a plate with a spoon so people have a less messy option.
- Another option is to let the ice cream soften a bit before assembly. Then place the assembled sandwiches back in the freezer to set before eating. Colder on the teeth but less messy.
Both options are delicious.
Subscribe to our recipe emails…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more. Here’s the link to subscribe