Whole Wheat Apple Cinnamon Muffins with Molasses
If you love baking with apples, give these apple cinnamon muffins with molasses a try. They’re light and moist and not too sweet.Print
Whole wheat apple cinnamon muffins with molasses
Apple cinnamon muffins with molasses are light textured, moist and not too sweet. The whole wheat (or spelt) flour adds extra flavour and nutrition.
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup whole wheat or spelt flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ cup buttermilk or sour milk*
- ½ cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup canola, grape seed or olive oil
- 2 cups peeled and chopped apples (about 2 medium apples)
- Preheat oven to 400 F and grease muffin pan (or line with muffin cups).
- In a large bowl, whisk flours, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, molasses, eggs, vanilla, and oil.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk mixture. Stir gently until almost combined.
- Add the chopped apples and gently fold them into the batter.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups and bake for 15-20 minutes.
*To sour milk, add ½ Tbsp. of vinegar to your measuring cup and fill to the ½ cup mark with milk. Let sit 5 minutes.