Servings: 6-8 serving(s)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hours
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Adding molasses to the fruit creates a rich caramel flavour in this cranberry apple crisp recipe. The cranberries add a pretty touch and tart flavour.
Apple crisp was a favourite dessert when I was growing up. I loved the soft tart apples but the best part was really the crunchy topping. Mom made her apple crisp with rolled oats, butter and brown sugar which to me tasted just like candy.
My mom never wrote her recipe down. Instead she just eyed it, especially when it came to sweetening the fruit. That’s the thing – the amount of sugar added to the fruit depends on how tart your apples are. I prefer firm, tart cortland apples but for this recipe you can use your favourite or whatever you have on hand. The amount of molasses that I have included with the filling works for a tart apple. But if you have a really sweet tooth more is good too (up to 2/3 of a cup).
Adding molasses to the fruit makes the caramel-like sauce that forms during cooking extra rich. You could serve this with ice cream, but it doesn’t need it. (My son prefers apple crisp straight up for breakfast.)
Cranberry Apple Crisp
- 5-6 apples, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp butter for dabbing
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
For the filling:
- Place the apples and cranberries in a medium casserole dish.
- Pour over the molasses, sprinkle with cinnamon and dab with the butter.
For the topping:
- Combine the flour, rolled oats and brown sugar.
- Add butter and mix together into a crumble.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the apples.
- Bake at 375 F for 35-45 minutes, until apples are soft.
Serve hot or warm.
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more. Here’s the link to subscribe.