Servings: 6-8 serving(s)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
With its crispy oat top and soft apple pear filling this ginger pear apple crisp is a lovely alternative to a classic fall fruit crisp.
For me crisps are as much about the texture as they are flavour. Those with soft fruit and crunchy topping are always my favourite. And I like the flavour to be slightly tart and buttery. I rarely add much in the way of spices.
Along with their luscious texture, pears have an earthy fall flavour that can use a little edge from ginger. Just a little to lift the flavour.
Melting the butter before blending it with the topping helps to make the topping extra crisp in this dessert as does the addition of good old-fashioned rolled oats.
There aren’t many desserts in our house that can also be a breakfast stand-in. In fact fruit crisp is the only one. (I don’t actually bake ginger pear apple crisp for breakfast but leftovers have a way of making their way onto the breakfast table, which is fine by me.)
Ginger Pear Apple Crisp Recipe
- 4 pears, peeled and chopped
- 2 apples (not too crisp) peeled and chopped*
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1/3 cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. ginger
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup flour
- ½ tsp. ginger
- 1/3-1/2 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter, melted
*Can replace apples with additional pears
- In a large bowl toss the pears and apples with the flour then add the molasses, lemon juice and ginger.
- In another bowl whisk the rolled oats, flour, brown sugar and ginger. Pour over the melted butter and stir until well blended.
- Scrape the pear mixture into a good-sized casserole dish (high-sided for a deeper crisp) and top with the flour mixture.
- Bake at 350 F for 40-60 minute or until filling starts to bubble up. (Actual cooking time will depend on the depth of your baking dish.)
Get new recipes every week…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive our weekly recipe email.Sign up for our Newsletter