Molasses in Chili with Black Beans
Molasses in Chili with black beans is a hearty and warming vegetarian meal.
There is nothing that I like better on a cold January night than putting molasses in chili. A big bowl of vegetarian black bean chili is hearty and warming and does more than just fill the belly.
You’ll see that the tangy sweetness of molasses in chili pairs beautifully with tomatoes. It softens their tart acidity and adds flavour with just the right substance.
This recipe is vegetarian but works with ground beef or ground turkey as well. Just add a bit more broth or even another can of tomatoes if you find yours too thick. As well, feel free to mix up the beans. Kidney beans or a blend of beans makes for a great variation.Print
Vegetarian Black Bean Chili
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 tsp cumin seeds (or 2 tsp ground cumin)
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 carrots, diced
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- 4 tsp oregano
- 1 28 oz can or 24 oz bottle of tomatoes (prepared tomato sauce will do)
- 1 cup broth or water
- 2 cups cooked black beans (about 1 ½ can)
- 1 cup corn kernels
- ½ Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1–2 Tbsp Crosby’s Fancy Molasses (or more, to taste)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Juice and zest of ½ a lime
- In a big pot over medium heat saute the onions in oil until soft.
- Add the garlic, spices, oregano, and bay leaf and stir for a minute then add the carrots.
- Cover for 10 minutes, stirring a few times. (Add some of the broth if it seems too dry).
- Add corn, tomatoes, beans, broth, and chipotle (if using) and let simmer, uncovered for about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the vinegar and molasses. Thin with more broth if it’s too thick for your liking.
- Season with salt and decide if it needs more heat (cayenne) or sweet (molasses)
- Add the lime zest and juice and cilantro.
Serve with grated cheese and cornbread. Don’t forget to fish out the chipotle chili so nobody eats it whole.
Chili is adaptable so feel free to add any kind of beans or vegetables. Cubed sweet potato or squash are delicious too.
Keywords: chili, vegetarian chili, black bean chili, molasses in chili