Switchel, a refreshing energy drink made with molasses, cider vinegar, fresh ginger and lemon. Mixed with sparkling water, it’s a versatile drink for steamy summer days.
Switchel is an old drink that farmers relied on during haying season. On those scorching summer days in the field, farmers needed lots of water and a boost of energy to get them through that back breaking job. That’s how switchel was born. Brought to the field in huge pails the mixture combined water for hydration with molasses for energy and electrolytes, and ginger and cider vinegar for flavour and their own nutritional benefits.
This recipe makes a concentrate that you can then mix with sparkling water, to taste, for a refreshing, restorative drink in the dog days of summer.
Switchel Recipe with Cider Vinegar & Molasses
- 1 cup water
- 1 ½ Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1-inch knob of fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- Lemon juice to taste
- In a saucepan combine water, molasses and ginger.
- Bring to a boil and simmer gently for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and when cool to room temperature remove ginger pieces and stir in cider vinegar and lemon juice.
Lasts in the fridge for 2 weeks.
Add concentrate to sparkling water, to taste.