Servings: 30 serving(s)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
These soft molasses cookies deliver on flavour, spice, and delicious, warming comfort.
This is one of those classic old fashioned soft (but not too soft) molasses cookies. They’re the famous Pubnico molasses cookies, also known as Long Johns, Moose Hunters, Fat Archie’s & Lumberjacks. They’re also quite similar to our recipe for Katie’s Fat Molasses Cookies.
Soft but sturdy molasses cookies have been around for a long time. They travel well and are filling so are as practical as they are delicious.
These are meant to be a thicker cookie so take care not to roll them too thinly. The dough texture will vary depending on your flour. If it seems too soft to handle you can add up to an extra ¼ cup of flour. And you’ll use more flour when you roll them out.
Different versions of this cookie have different spice blends. Feel free to add extra ginger if you’d like them a little spicier.Print
Pubnico Soft Molasses Cookies
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 4 1/2 – 5 cups all-purpose flour, spooned in
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon each of ginger, cloves, cinnamon and salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- In a large bowl cream sugar and butter. Add molasses and egg and blend well.
- Combine dry ingredients and add to the creamed mixture, alternating with the milk.
- Scrape dough onto a lightly flowered surface and gather into a ball. Flatten into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for an hour or overnight. (Add up to 1/2 cup additional flour if the dough is too soft to handle.)
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4 inch thick and cut into rounds (or preferred shape).
- Place on prepared sheet, about 1 1/2 “ apart.
- Bake 12-15 minutes.
If you loved this recipe be sure to let us know in the comments below. And don’t forget to give it a star ranking.
Subscribe to our recipe updates…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more.Sign up for our Newsletter