Servings: 12-14 muffins serving(s)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
These blueberry bran muffins are light-textured and moist.
You can never have too many recipes for blueberry muffins, and blueberry bran muffins are especially appealing. They have a wholesome flavour that can’t be matched and never taste like a piece of cake, which is sometimes the case with regular blueberry muffins.
These blueberry bran muffins are light-textured and moist. They’re made with a generous amount of bakers bran (natural wheat bran) which is the key to their lofty texture. Blueberries and molasses keep them extra moist.
This is the kind of muffin that works for breakfast, for school lunches and for an after school snack.
I came across the recipe one sleepy holiday evening at my sister’s. I was flipping through her new cookbook, Make it Ahead by Ina Garten. There were loads of great looking recipes in the book but the one that really caught my eye was for these blueberry bran muffins. All of our family feasts over the holidays got me thinking about simple food and wholesome snacks and this recipe fit the bill.
And it has come in handy this week, getting us through the first Monday in January and the whole sleepy week. (Getting back into the swing of things has been a little painful, for everyone in my household). Thankfully this is the kind of muffin that works for breakfast, for school lunches and for an afterschool snack.
I didn’t bother to freeze them so the batch lasted four days on the counter before they were all gone, and the final muffin still tasted great.
I love to eat them plain or with a little peanut butter but my daughter prefers them with a heaping spoonful of strawberry jam.
Blueberry Bran Muffin Recipe
Makes 12-14 muffins
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup plus 2 Tbsp. plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil (or vegetable oil)
- ½ cup sugar
- 6 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ½ cups wheat bran
- 1½ cups blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350F and prepare muffin pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour with the salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl whisk the yogurt with the oil, sugar, molasses and honey.
- Whisk in the eggs and vanilla.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry and mix gently until almost combined.
- Stir in the wheat bran in two additions.
- Stir in the blueberries and mix until evenly distributed.
- Spoon into prepared muffin pan and bake for 25-30 minutes if using fresh berries. Bake for 30-35 minutes if using frozen blueberries.
Nutritional info: Per muffin.
- Calories: 205
- Fat: 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1 g
- Cholesterol: 27.5 mg
- Sodium: 70.3 mg
- Carbs: 31.3 g
- Sugar: 15.3
- Fibre: 5.1 g
- Protein: 3.7 g
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more. Here’s the link to subscribe.