Servings: 2 dozen serving(s)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
One-bite Molasses Brownies are dense, fudgy and easy to make. The molasses intensifies the chocolate flavour and keeps them super moist.
Summer has arrived in my neck of the woods. Blue sky and glorious heat. Every window in the house opened wide all night. We’re not exactly wilting in the heat but it’s a respectable 26 C with a salty scent of the ocean in the air.
This is our ice cream season, the time of year when my kids are content to walk 20 minutes to the local ice cream stand – no complaints – while the dog pants in the basement. But it’s also the time of the year when it’s tougher to keep snacks on the counter. Cookies and biscuits seem to sweat and go stale faster.
It’s a good time to make one-bite molasses brownies because they’re tasty right out of the freezer. And they go great with ice cream. You can mix them up in a flash and then get out of the house while they bake.
One-bite Molasses Brownies
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips or coarsely chopped bittersweet chocolate
- ½ cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup flour
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8-by-8-inch metal baking pan with parchment paper.
- Combine the chocolate and butter in a medium saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until melted and smooth.
- Remove from the heat, add molasses and let cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Combine the eggs, sugar, vanilla, baking powder, cocoa and salt in a large bowl and stir until just incorporated. Add the chocolate mixture and stir until combined. Add the flour and fold in until just incorporated, about 20 strokes (no white streaks should remain).
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan (spreading it out and smoothing the top). Bake 30 minutes (until the centre is set). Remove to a wire rack and let the brownies cool for at least 20 minutes. Take them out a littler earlier if you want them to be chewier.
- Cut into 1 or 2-inch squares.
**In this video I’m making the original version of this brownie recipe. The video version has no cocoa and only 1 Tbsp. of molasses. I have made these brownies dozens of times and I prefer this blog post version that includes cocoa powder and more molasses.**
Nutritional info: Per 1” brownie. Calories: 103, Fat: 5.9 g, Saturated Fat: 3.9 g, Cholesterol: 20 mg, Sodium: 45 mg, Carbs:14. Sugar: 10.6 g
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more. Here’s the link to subscribe.