Chewy Hermit Bars Recipe: Classic Molasses Cookie
This classic chewy hermit bars recipe is an old fashioned favourite and one of the most popular recipes on our website.
These classic cookies are quick, easy & packed with chewy molasses goodness. With or without the glaze, they’re delicious!
When we say easy, we mean it. You bake these cookies in two great slabs, drizzle over the icing and slice when cool. If you’re someone who is tired of portioning cookie dough, this recipe is for you.
Hermit Bars Recipe Tips:
- The recipe is versatile. Sometimes we use dried cranberries or currants in place of the raisins.
- The glaze is optional but so tasty.
- This recipe works well with 1/2 cup whole wheat or spelt flour. Just reduce the overall flour amount by 2 Tbsp. (So use 2 cups + 2 Tbsp. flour if you’re incorporating whole grain flour).
Chewy Hermit Bars Recipe
A classic chewy molasses cookie with great flavour (thank you cloves). Quick and easy to make. Optional glaze is pretty and delicious.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 24–30 1x
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, spooned in
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp cloves
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- ¾ cup raisins (or dried cranberries)
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar. Add the molasses and then the egg.
- Combine well then stir in the dry ingredients.
- When it comes together as a dough add the raisins.
- Divide dough in half and form each piece into a 12” log.
- Place in a parchment lined baking sheet a few inches apart.
- Flatten the logs slightly.
- Bake at 375 F for 18 minutes.
- Start checking them at the 15 minute mark because you don’t want them to get dark around the edges.
- Remove from oven, cool on the pan and cut into strips on the diagonal.
If glazing, let cool 10 minutes before drizzling with the icing. Slice when cookies are cool and glaze has hardened.
- 2/3 cup icing sugar
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
Combine ingredients, adding more milk is necessary to ensure it’s runny. Spoon over the baked bars. Let harden then cut bars on the diagonal.