This has been the week of losing things, or forgetting things I suppose, which isn’t much different. Until you remember where you put your punch card or snow pants or retainer or Blue Tooth charger, all are as good as lost.
It has hit my entire family like the flu.
We have all misplaced everyday things so it has been a week of turning the house upside down in our search, and wondering things like “Do you suppose the dog ate Amelia’s retainer?
But it has also been the week of waking in the middle of the night remembering that the missing plate is at my sister’s (from the night I ran over with a slice of Linzer torte) and the punch card is in the pouch of the knapsack that got put in the basement.
Yesterday we had the greatest discovery of all… I found Amelia’s missing iPod at the end of the driveway. Lost December 21 it endured a major ice storm, a record-breaking cold snap and two torrential rain storms. We stuck it in a bag of rice for 24 hours to dry it out and voila, it works. Unbelievable.
To celebrate I made a molasses cream cheese frosting for a yummy batch of carrot cake muffins, just to make them more of a treat.
These are light and airy muffins, with three eggs and not much butter. They’re moist but not wet like some carrot muffins can be and they’re not oily or interrupted by nuts.
Carrot Cake muffins with molasses cream cheese icing
Make 18 regular-sized muffins
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup brown sugar (can reduce to 2/3 cup)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots
- Preheat oven to 350° and prepare muffin pans.
- In a small pan melt butter, remove from heat and stir in molasses.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs. Whisk in the milk and yogurt then add the butter-molasses mixture along with the vanilla.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Carefully add the wet mixture, stirring until just combined. Stir in the grated carrots and mix until incorporated.
- Spoon into prepared pans and bake at 350° F for about 20 minutes.
Let cupcakes cool before icing.
Molasses cream cheese icing
Up until yesterday I was not a cream cheese icing fan. I had always found it cloyingly sweet I suppose in part because it’s often piled a mile high on cake. But then I discovered this approach…no icing sugar. Sure it doesn’t make as much in a batch, but the silky texture and delightful flavour mean you don’t need a lot to satisfy.
- 1 – 250 g package of cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 3-4 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 tsp. vanilla
Beat together the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Beat in the molasses and vanilla.
Have you made any great discoveries this year?
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. The sign-up form is on the top right hand side of this page. We’d love to send you our monthly email too. Our Making Life Delicious newsletter includes cooking tips, menu ideas and featured recipes. Here’s the link to our monthly email sign-up form.
Here’s to eating well, everyday,