Servings: 12 muffins serving(s)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
My sister Mary Jo has been making these blueberry wheat germ muffins for as long as I can remember. They’re a favourite of mine thanks to their lovely light texture and an almost nutty sweetness from the wheat germ. The wheat germ makes these extra healthy too. Just ask Dr. Oz.
Wheat germ is packed with nutrients and unfortunately gets sifted out of regular white and unbleached white flour. Adding it to baked goods, or homemade molasses granola, is an easy way to work this great food into your diet. Of course you can make these blueberry wheat germ muffins even healthier by using stoneground flour. I use whole white flour (sometimes called white whole wheat). Another option is to use half all-purpose flour and half whole wheat or spelt flour in this recipe.
I consider muffins the perfect lunch box snack but my kids don’t always agree. To get them eating these again I made a little modification to the original recipe…I added a touch of molasses and some blueberries. Occasionally I’ll add chocolate chips instead and if they’re a treat for me I’ll add candied ginger.
Healthy Blueberry Wheat Germ Muffins
- ½ cup wheat germ
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup of plain yogurt (or flavoured, if that’s what you have on hand)
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup oil
- 3 Tbsp Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 cup blueberries (more if you prefer)
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease 12 regular-sized muffin cups
- In a medium bowl combine dry ingredients.
- In another bowl combine yogurt, eggs, oil and molasses.
- Pour wet mixture over the dry ingredients and mix gently, just until combined.
- Stir in blueberries.
- Spoon into prepared muffin pans and bake at 350 F for 18-20 minutes.
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more. Here’s the link to subscribe.