Easy Apple Spice Cake
Some of the best cakes are muffin-simple to make, like this easy apple spice cake (a moist applesauce cake).
Some of the best cakes out there are muffin-simple. Made with real butter and good stone-ground flour, they’ve got flavour to spare and have no need to be dressed with frosting.
Plus, there is only one easy pan to clean, not a dozen muffin cups.
Easy Apple Spice Cake is delicious cake that’s a cinch to mix up and makes a wholesome treat. No occasion required.
We make this apple spice cake with stone ground flour and homemade apple sauce but it works just as well with conventional white flour and store-bought apple sauce.
It’s actually a gingerbread, sweetened with molasses and lightly spiced with ginger and cinnamon. As gingerbreads go this one is on the gentle side, denser than hot water gingerbreads but mild in flavour. If you use stone ground flour it’s sweet, nutty flavour will shine through.
Serve this apple spice cake as a snack cake, tuck it in your kids’ lunchbox or sprinkle it with icing sugar and serve it as a dessert.
It’s that kind of cake – forever adaptable to the occasion.Print
Easy Apple Spice Cake
Easy apple spice cake is a moist, wholesome snack cake made with apple sauce, stone ground flour and lightly spiced with cinnamon and ginger.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 12 portions 1x
- Category: Cakes
- 2/3 cup sugar (can be reduce to 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce (make your own from local apples)
- 1/3 cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 2 eggs well beaten
- ½ cup soft butter
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger or nutmeg
- 2 cups flour (stone ground spelt or whole white, if you have it)
- In one bowl place sifted dry ingredients.
- In another bowl beat applesauce, molasses, eggs, and soft butter.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients.
- Beat well by hand or with an electric beater for 3 minutes.
- Pour into greased and floured 9″ round or square cake pan and bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes then remove from pan to finish cooling.
- To serve, dust with icing sugar and cut into wedges.