Oatmeal Coffee Cake with Pecan Streusel
Oatmeal Coffee Cake is an old-fashioned coffee cake with a wholesome substance.
This recipe is adapted from the Debora Madison classic, Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. It’s an enormous book full of excellent recipes with a particularly good collection of baking recipes.Print
Oatmeal Coffee Cake with Pecan Streusel Recipe
Oatmeal Coffee Cake is a tasty old-fashioned coffee cake. Oatmeal for texture, pecan streusel for crunch, and molasses for sweetness.
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 3 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. flour
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 3 Tbsp. cold butter
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans
- Butter a 9”x 13” pan or line it with parchment paper
- Preheat the oven to 375 F
- Pour boiling water over the oats and set them aside to cool.
- Cream butter and sugars until light. Beat in molasses then eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in vanilla, cinnamon and then moist oatmeal.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using a wooden spoon or rubber scraper, stir dry ingredients into wet. Combine well but don’t over mix.
- Mix together streusel ingredients with a fork or pastry blender.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and sprinkle over the streusel.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, until a tester comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached.
Can this recipe be doubled and baked in a Bundt pan?
Because this is a large cake to begin with (9 x 13″ pan) I haven’t ever doubled it. And I haven’t tried baking it in a bundt pan either. The crumb isn’t as fine as other coffee cakes that I have baked in a bundt pan so it may not come out of the pan super clean.
such a beautiful recipe. I love your recipes, you have such an enviable job! I adore molasses, and baking and you could not do better than what you do. Amazing and delicious dishes.
Thank you very much, Carol
want nutritional information on the coffee cake please I am a weight watcher …thank you
Hi Lucy, the nutritional information for the molasses can be found on our website, following the link: https://www.crosbys.com/nutritional-info/