Wild Rice and Barley Salad
This nutty wild rice and barley salad is a far-from-ordinary salad that is sure to brighten up your summer menu.
The grains are tossed with an aromatic vinaigrette spiced with coriander, cumin, turmeric, and cinnamon; then sprinkled with currants and toasted almonds. The salad is full of flavours and textures that are just right for fish and chicken dishes. But you could also add some cooked lentils and crumbled feta to make it more substantial.Print
Wild Rice and Barley Salad with Coriander Vinaigrette
- 1 cup wild rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup hulled barley, farro, or pot barley
- 1 cup minced red onion
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup currants or dried cranberries
- ½ cup toasted slivered almonds or pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup vinegar (white wine vinegar or cider vinegar)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- Combine wild rice in a pot with 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Cook until tender then drain.
- In another pot, combine barley with 3 cups water. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until tender (but still chewy), about 40 minutes. Add more water during cooking, if necessary.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a bowl, whisk until combined.
- Add currants to dressing and let rest while you prepare the remaining salad ingredients.
- Toss cooked rice with barley and dressing.
- Fold in onion and parsley and sprinkle with almonds.
- Serving Size: 8
Keywords: salad, barley salad, wild rice and barley salad, vegan barley salad, vegan