Devil’s Food Chocolate Cake
- 2/3 cup butter or shortening
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2/3 cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 3 squares bitter chocolate (unsweetened)
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups sifted flour
- ¾ cup sour milk or sour cream
- Cream butter, add sugar gradually. Add baking soda, salt and vanilla. Mix in molasses and melted chocolate. Beat in eggs. Blend in flour alternately with sour milk.
- Pour batter into two well-greased, lightly floured 8″ pans.
- Bake at 375°F for 25 minutes
- Cool. Ice.