Healthy Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies Recipe
This is one of those “delicious with the nutritious” recipes
It’s a cookie, but it’s filled with lots of healthy stuff like vegetables, old-fashioned rolled oats, a little bit of flax and unsweetened coconut. You can make them a bit healthier if you swap our some of the flour for whole wheat or spelt flour. And you could always reduce the sugar a bit.
If your kids like to snack on cookies this recipe is a good choice.
Carrot cake cookies have a great oatmeal cookie texture and are on the soft side. They’re delicious on their own buy can easily be turned into a special treat if you sandwich them with frosting to make Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies. (You could also sandwich them with peanut butter, jam or a bit of fruit compote.)Print
Wholesome & Healthy Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies
Carrot cake whoopie pies recipe filled with healthy stuff like vegetables, old-fashioned rolled oats,flax & unsweetened coconut.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 24 cookies serving(s) 1x
- Category: Cookies
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 ¼ cups flour, spooned in (can use half spelt or whole wheat)
- 2 Tbsp. ground flax or wheat germ
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¾ cup grated carrots
- 2 Tbsp. soft butter
- ½ Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 1 Tbsp. milk or cream
- Enough icing sugar to make mixture spreadable
- In a large bowl cream the butter with the sugars and salt. Beat in the egg then the molasses.
- In another bowl whisk the flour, flax, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture and stir until just combined.
- Stir in the oats, coconut and carrots. Combine well and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Scoop dough by the tablespoonful onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Place about 1 ½ inches apart.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- When cooled, sandwich the Carrot Cake Cookies with Molasses Frosting
- Cream butter and molasses. Stir in the vanilla and half of the milk then ½ cup of icing sugar.
- Add remaining milk and another ½ cup icing sugar.
- Continue adding icing sugar 2 Tbsp. at a time until you get a nice spreadable consistency.