Servings: 24 cookies serving(s)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
This is one of those “delicious with the nutritious” recipes
It’s a cookie, but it’s filled with lots of healthy stuff like vegetables, old-fashioned rolled oats, a little bit of flax and unsweetened coconut. You can make them a bit healthier if you swap our some of the flour for whole wheat or spelt flour. And you could always reduce the sugar a bit.
If your kids like to snack on cookies this recipe is a good choice.
Carrot cake cookies have a great oatmeal cookie texture and are on the soft side. They’re delicious on their own buy can easily be turned into a special treat if you sandwich them with frosting to make Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies. (You could also sandwich them with peanut butter, jam or a bit of fruit compote.)
Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies Recipe
Makes about 24 cookies
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 ¼ cups flour, spooned in (can use half spelt or whole wheat)
- 2 Tbsp. ground flax or wheat germ
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¾ cup grated carrots
- In a large bowl cream the butter with the sugars and salt. Beat in the egg then the molasses.
- In another bowl whisk the flour, flax, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture and stir until just combined.
- Stir in the oats, coconut and carrots. Combine well and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Scoop dough by the tablespoonful onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Place about 1 ½ inches apart.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
Nutritional info: Per cookie.
- Calories: 121
- Fat: 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.8 g
- Cholesterol: 18.6 mg
- Sodium: 89 mg
- Carbs: 15 g
- Sugar: 7.4 g
- Potassium: 80 mg
- Calcium: 18.4 g
- Vitamin A: 59 g
- Protein: 1.8 g
- Fibre: 1.1 g
Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies
When cooled, sandwich Carrot Cake Cookies with Molasses Frosting:
- 2 Tbsp. soft butter
- ½ Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 1 Tbsp. milk or cream
- Enough icing sugar to make mixture spreadable
- Cream butter and molasses. Stir in the vanilla and half of the milk then ½ cup of icing sugar.
- Add remaining milk and another ½ cup icing sugar.
- Continue adding icing sugar 2 Tbsp. at a time until you get a nice spreadable consistency.
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more. Here’s the link to subscribe.