Servings: 4 serving(s)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Sweet and sour turkey meatballs make great party food but can also be enjoyed as a main dish meal. The delicious sauce comes together quickly and suits all sorts of meat, including beef and pork.
When I was growing up meatballs were party food. Mom would make dozens for our neighbourhood parties and as kids we’d be the ones to serve them. Drenched in sweet and sour sauce and passed around with toothpicks they were always the most popular appetizer that mom would make for these gatherings.
While I love meatballs as appetizers, my favourite way to enjoy sweet and sour meatballs is as a main dish. Served with rice and steamed or roasted vegetables they’re satisfying and surprisingly simple to make.
I make my meatballs with ground turkey or chicken but this recipe suits any type of meat. In this recipe for sweet and sour turkey meatballs, the garlic in the meat mixture adds loads of flavour and the sauce has that irresistible tangy-sweet flavour that makes you want to lick your fingers.
NEW! Try my pumpkin version of the sweet & sour sauce: Substitute pumpkin puree for the ketchup called for in the recipe. Cook as instructed below.
- This recipe can be made with store-bought meatballs too (the sauce is an easy way to add oomph to any plain meatballs).
- Try the sauce with chunks of cooked chicken or pork.
- Make a double batch of sauce and store it in the fridge for up to three weeks.
Sweet & Sour Turkey Meatballs
Sweet and sour turkey meatballs make great party food but can also be enjoyed as a main dish meal. The delicious sauce comes together quickly and suits all sorts of meat.
- 1 lb. ground turkey, chicken or beef
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup diced onions
- ½ cup bouillon or apple juice
- 1/4 cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Heat oven to 400 F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Combine the meatball ingredients. Mix well (but don’t over-mix) and shape lightly into 1½ inch balls.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until done. (Be careful not to overcook.)
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Melt butter in a medium pot and add the onion.
- Saute until soft then add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for five minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add meatballs and toss gently.
- Warm on minimum for 10 minutes. Serve hot.
If you love this recipe be sure to give it a star rating.
Subscriber to receive more wholesome recipes…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’ll send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, giveaways and more.Sign up for our Newsletter