Servings: 10-12 serving(s)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
This easy molasses chocolate cake recipe is delicious and practical. It’s dairy and egg-free, makes a 9″x 13″ cake or two 8″ cakes for layering, and stays moist, even after a few days.
A good chocolate cake recipe is a kitchen staple.
Chocolate cake suits all seasons and all celebrations, and it can have an everyday-ness about it too — when you want to bake a cake just because.
This is a version of my family’s favourite chocolate cake recipe and has been our go-to birthday cake for decades. Because it’s egg and dairy-free it’s a great option for children’s birthday parties (there are a few egg and dairy allergies among my kids’ friends).
Molasses is the secret ingredient
Just a little molasses, in both the cake and the frosting, helps to make this cake taste more chocolaty. Molasses helps to make the cake extra moist too. Because chocolate and molasses are such a perfect pairing we have an entire section on our website devoted to the Chocolate & Molasses Flavour Combo.
The frosting is creamy and delicious, and can be made with butter or coconut oil, depending on your dietary preferences.
I always bake this cake in a 9″ x 13″ pan and frost is as a rectangular layer cake. The recipe is just right for two 8″ round cake pans as well.
Molasses Chocolate Cake Recipe
- ½ cup oil (or melted butter)
- 2 tsp. vinegar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- ¼ cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, spooned in
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 6 Tbsp. cocoa
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a 9”x13” metal pan with parchment paper (or grease and flour two 8” round cake pans.)
- In a large bowl whisk together dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl whisk the oil, vinegar, vanilla, molasses and water.
- Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, until the cake starts to pull away from the edge of a pan or a tester comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes then remove from pan to a wire rack and cool completely before frosting.
Secret Ingredient Chocolate Frosting
- ½ cup butter, softened (or coconut oil)
- ¼ cup water or coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups icing sugar
- ¾ cup cocoa
To make the frosting:
- Cream butter, molasses & vanilla
- Add water and mix well.
- Add cocoa then the icing sugar one cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more. Here’s the link to subscribe.