Servings: 1 loaf serving(s)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 75 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
I read someplace that banana bread is one of the most popular recipes in North America. It’s one of those tea bread staples that never went out of fashion and somehow traveled from the bridge table to school lunches without skipping a beat.
There must be a thousand variations of the classic banana bread out there, some with peanut butter others with butterscotch chips, there are chocolate versions. I’m sure they’re all good but my favourite is really just plain old banana bread, with a touch of spice.
This is a gluten-free version of a classic banana bread. It has a lovely moist crumb and a subtle spice flavour. The molasses helps make it extra moist and adds a flavour that works beautifully with the banana. Use very ripe banana’s for an intense banana flavour.
No one would even guess that it’s gluten free.
If your banana’s aren’t ripen enough you can always ripen them in the oven. Here’s how.
This recipe works well as mini muffins too.
Gluten-free Banana Bread with Molasses Recipe
Adapted from Hun…What’s for dinner?
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1/3 cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbsp. buttermilk, yogurt or soured milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed (about 1-1 1/4 cups)
- 2 cups gluten-free flour blend*
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
* Gluten-free flour blend: 4 cups fine brown rice flour, 1 1/3 cups potato starch (not potato flour), 2/3 cup tapioca flour. Whisk together and store in an airtight container. (Recipe from The Allergen-Free Baker’s Handbook)
- Grease a large loaf pan or line it with parchment paper. (Or use three mini loaf pans).
- In a large bowl combine the melted butter with the sugar and stir well. Add the molasses and then the eggs, one at a time. Stir in the buttermilk, vanilla and then the mashed banana.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour blend, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir gently, just until combined. Take care not to over mix.
- Bake at 350 F for 50-60 minutes.
- Let cool in pan 10 minutes before upending on cooling rack.
Nutritional info: Per 1” slice.
- Calories: 163
- Fat: 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.6 g
- Cholesterol: 35.6 mg
- Sodium: 53.2 mg
- Carbs: 25.5 g
- 5ugar: 10 g
- Potassium: 232.8 mg
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more. Here’s the link to subscribe.