Chewy Coconut Macaroons – the one new recipe you’ll want to add to your holiday baking list this year.
They’re easy to make, low cal, low carb and delicious. They can also be made gluten-free.
I love the idea of baking oodles of cookies for the holidays. I grew up in a house where there were a dozen different kinds of cookies in the freezer by the time the holidays arrived and our basement freezer was so stuffed it had to be locked to keep it closed tight.
Truth be told, I’m lucky if I can get even a few different kinds of cookies in the freezer in time for Christmas and I have been known to discover unbaked cookie dough in my fridge long after the holidays have passed.
One cookie that has been easy to add to my holiday baking lineup is this recipe for coconut macaroons. Relatively easy to mix up, they add great variety to your holiday cookie plate. And at just 113 calories per cookie, they add a lower cal option to your holiday treats as well.
Dipping them in chocolate is optional.
The recipe is adapted from the lovely little cookbook, Classic Cookies with a Modern Twist by Ellen Jackson.
They’re easy to make gluten-free…just substitute a gluten free flour blend for the 1/2 cup flour called for in the recipe.
Chewy Coconut Macaroon Recipe
Makes 24 macaroons
- ½ cup flour (can use gluten-free)
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened coconut (fine)
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened flaked coconut (wide)
- 4 egg whites
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Chocolate for dipping (optional)
- Whisk together the flour, salt and both kinds of coconut.
- In a double boiler or a metal bowl suspended above a pot of barely simmering water, whisk the egg whites with the sugar, molasses and vanilla until mixture warm to the touch and opaque (110 F). Remove from heat and pour over the dry ingredients. Fold to combine and set aside for 15 minutes to allow the coconut to absorb some of the liquid.
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Form mixture into 1” to 1 ½” balls and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Rotate baking sheet halfway through cooking.
- Let cool then dip in melted chocolate.
Nutritional info (no chocolate): Per cookie.
- Calories: 113
- Fat: 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Carbs: 11.4 g
- Sugar: 7.3 g
- Sodium: 38.4 mg
- Fibre: 1.9 g
- Protein: 1.6 g
- Potassium 95.9 mg