Molasses Sticky Buns Recipe
This molasses sticky buns recipe includes a deliciously soft dough that works well with whole grain flour and a rich, buttery molasses sauce.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Rise: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1:45
- Yield: 10 serving(s) 1x
- Category: Muffins & Quick Breads
For the dough:
- 4–4 1/2 cups flour plus more for kneading
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- Scant 3 Tbsp quick rise yeast
- Scant ½ cup butter
- 1 2/3 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 1½ Tbsp ground cinnamon
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter and whisk it into the milk and eggs, then stir it into the flour mixture.
- Mix to combine and knead the dough until it’s smooth and springy, adding up to 2/3 cup more flour if necessary.
- Form into a ball, place in an oiled bowl, turn to coat, and cover. Leave to rise until doubled (30 min to an hour, depending on the temperature in your kitchen).
- In the meantime… Line a 9” by 13” pan with parchment paper. Cut the paper large enough so it goes up the sides of the pan too.
- Next, make the molasses sauce… In a small saucepan, bring the brown sugar, butter, water and molasses to a boil. Pour into the prepared pan.
- To assemble the buns… When the dough has risen to double its size, punch it down, roll out into a rectangle (about 11″x 15″) and spread/sprinkle with the filling.
- Roll up (not too tight) from the long side, pinching to seal. Slice into 1 ½“ rounds. Place rolls, cut side down, in the molasses sauce.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in dish for 5 minutes; invert onto a serving platter. Serve warm.
Keywords: sticky buns, cinnamon buns