- Preheat oven to 400F, and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- In another bowl (or saucepan) whisk the molasses and milk with the melted butter. Make sure it’s cool to the touch then beat in egg and vanilla (if using).
- Add wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir gently until combined. Let sit for a couple of minutes.
- Scrape dough onto a well-floured surface and knead gently a few times. (The dough will be very soft.)
- Pat or roll to one inch thick and cut into rounds.
- Place on prepared sheet, with edges just touching. Bake 12-15 minutes.
(Place them further apart for buns with crusty sides).