- Melt shortening in a saucepan on the stove or in a large bowl in the microwave.
- Cool slightly and add molasses and sugar. Mix well.
- Whisk spices with two cups of flour and add to molasses mixture. Add remaining flour 2 cups at a time, along with ¼ cup of water.
- Mix well and add enough remaining water so the dough is not crumbly.
- Knead dough until smooth, shape into two discs, bag, and refrigerate overnight (or for a few days.)
*Add more water, a tablespoon at a time, if your dough is crumbly.
When ready to bake:
- Line large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll dough 1/4″ thick and cut according to your template.
- Bake at 325 F until firm but not too dark around the edges, about 12-15 minutes.
- Cool completely before assembling your house.
It makes a nice dough. I vary the spice/water amounts to what works. I usually let it sit in the fridge for a few days too. So I started with 3 batches. Then I make it as needed.