Gingerbread Shortbread Bars
Buttery gingerbread shortbread bars are so simple to make and have that irresistible shortbread texture.
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. butter, softened
- ½ cup plus 2 Tbsp. icing sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned in)
- 2/3 cup cornstarch, spooned in
- 1 ½ tsp. gingerbread spice blend (recipe below) or 1 tsp. ground ginger & ½ tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325 F
- Cream butter and sugar. Add molasses and mix to incorporate.
- Sprinkle over flour, cornstarch and spices and mix until dough just comes together.
- Press into a 9”x9” pan and prick with a fork.
- Bake 50-55 min.
- When almost cooled cut into bars
Gingerbread Spice Blend
- 2 tsp ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp each, nutmeg, cloves
Add 1/8 tsp of cardamom and/or mace