Easy Hot Water Gingerbread with Lemon Curd
This recipe for easy hot water gingerbread came from the Nova Scotia publication, Saltscapes Magazine
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Cakes
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 cup hot water or hot tea
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon
- Grease and flour a 9” high-sided cake pan (round or square) or line it with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine egg, sugar, butter, molasses, salt, baking soda and ginger.
- When thoroughly blended, add hot water; stir, then add flour.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- When cool, sprinkle with icing sugar if you like. Serve with whipped cream and/or lemon curd.
- In a medium pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- While butter is melting, whisk the remaining ingredients together and add to the pot once the butter has melted.
- Stir constantly until it thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool.