Whole Wheat Puppy Paws | Soft Molasses Cookies Recipe
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minute
- Yield: 18-20 1x
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned in
- 1 cup whole wheat flour, spooned in
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugar. Beat in molasses and egg.
- In a separate bowl whisk the flours, spices, and salt.
- Combine the hot water and baking soda in a little cup and give it a stir. Pour into the butter mixture, making sure to scrape out the baking soda residue. Stir to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir until incorporated.
To shape the paws*:
- Using a medium cookie scoop or a heaping tablespoon of dough, make the middle of the paws. Using a teaspoon measure, make four toes. (This will get easier once you have done a few.)
- Bake 10-12 minutes, until puffy and set.
- Let cookies cool on the pan for a few minutes before transferring to a rack to cool completely.
*These cookies can be made as drop cookies. Use about 2 Tbsp. of dough per cookie.
Keywords: soft molasses cookies; lunchbox treat