Servings: 1 loaf serving(s)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 75 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
That’s what I have been thinking about this afternoon as I nibble three-day old buns and sip my tea.
Banana bread is everything that these buns are not: It’s moist, fragrant and has an irresistible texture.
This is a classic banana bread recipe, with just a few updates. It’s lightly spiced, gets a bit more substance from whole grain flour and the banana is beautifully complemented by the molasses…a sweet that has a little bite to it.
Feel free to toss in ½ cup of nuts, seeds, or desiccated coconut if you prefer more texture.
For an more flavourful bread use extra ripe bananas. And if you don’t have ripe bananas, try this:
Whole wheat molasses Banana Bread Recipe
Adapted from Hun…What’s for dinner?
- ½ cup butter, melted, or canola oil
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1/3 cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbsp. yogurt or soured milk*
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed (about 1-1 1/4 cups)
- ¾ cup whole wheat or spelt flour (spooned in)
- 1 ¼ cups plain flour (spooned in)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- Grease a large loaf pan or line it with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine the melted butter with the sugar and stir well.
- Add the molasses and then the eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in the yogurt, vanilla and then the mashed banana.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir gently, just until combined. (Take care not to over mix.)
- Bake at 350 F for 50-60 minutes.
- Let cool in pan 10 minutes before upending on cooling rack.
*To sour the milk, add 1/4 tsp. of vinegar to the 3 Tbsp. of milk and let sit for five minutes.
More baking with banana ideas:
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more. Here’s the link to subscribe.