The Ultimate Rice Custard Recipe
This is a classic old-time rice custard recipe with a silky custard sitting atop sweet rice and raisins. A little molasses adds lovely flavour.
- 1 ½ cups cooked rice
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 cups milk
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasse
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Spread cooked rice in the bottom of a 6-cup baking dish and sprinkle over the raisins (breaking up any clumps).
- Whisk together the milk, eggs, sugar, molasses, vanilla and nutmeg
- Gently pour over the rice.
- Bake, uncovered, 45-55 minutes, until the centre is set and a knife comes out clean when inserted in the centre.
- Serve warm or cold
I use a 6-cup baking dish for this recipe (1 1/2 quart)