Servings: 16 serving(s)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Fudgy brownies with a sweet tahini swirl.
A few years ago when we were exhibiting at a food show in Vancouver, a few customers introduced us to the tahini-molasses combination. What a great discovery. A school-friendly alternative to peanut butter, tahini mixed with molasses became a great sandwich option and tahini on crackers, drizzled with molasses, became an after school snack.
Lots of reasons to enjoy tahini.
Tahini is a good source of calcium, high in B vitimins, a good source of vitimin E and high in minerals. Plus, when sweetened a bit to cut the bitterness, it has an irresistible flavour. (Those of you who are fans of halva know what I mean.)
Tahini brownies are among the best brownies I have ever tasted. Sweet tahini swirled into a thick chocolate brownie batter creates an outstanding flavour combination, an unexpected treat for the taste buds.
A gluten-free treat.
In this gluten-free recipe, corn starch stands in for flour. And the combination of cocoa powder and bittersweet chocolate contributes an intensely chocolate flavour.
Slightly adapted from Bon Appetit
Chocolate Tahini Brownies Recipe
Makes 16 brownies
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3 Tbsp. butter or coconut oil
- 4 Tbsp. tahini, divided
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ cup (packed) light brown sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line an 8×8″ baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk cornstarch and cocoa.
- In a medium pot, over low heat, melt the chocolate with the butter and 1 Tbsp. of the tahini. Stir until smooth and remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar and brown sugar until doubled in volume.
- Beat in the salt and vanilla, then add the chocolate mixture.
- Beat in the cornstarch mixture and mix until thick and smooth.
- Scrape mixture into prepared pan and smooth the top.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 3 Tbsp. of tahini with the Tbsp. of molasses.
- Dollop all over the top of the brownies and using a toothpick or chop stick, draw the tahini mixture through the batter, making a design.
- Bake until a tester comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached, 20- 25 minutes.
- Cool before removing from pan.