Servings: 1 loaf serving(s)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 75 minutes
Cooking time: 55 minutes
Chocolate chip banana bread is a wholesome snack. Made with whole wheat flour, Greek yogurt and with the sugar reduced by almost 1/3 from the original recipe, it’s a not-too-sweet treat that’s perfect for lunch boxes or an afternoon snack.
For my family the first week back from March Break is also the first week adjusting to the time change – a double whammy that has us all struggling through the early mornings. But when late afternoon arrives and it’s still bright and sunny, and daylight persists through dinnertime, it all feels worthwhile.
It’s a season for new lunchbox and after school snacks for my kids. Although winter isn’t quite over (hello province-wide blizzard warning for tomorrow) we’re all in the mood for snacks that feel less wintery, like this chocolate chip banana bread.
It’s a wholesome classic that hits the spot when you need a little nibble. Try it toasted with breakfast too.
Tip: If you’re using a frozen banana, thaw completely and whisk with a fork to incorporate the liquid. (This recipe made with frozen banana will take a little longer to cook.)
Eat within two days if you’re baking the bread with banana slices on top.
This recipe is adapted from Ricardo Cuisine.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
Makes 1 loaf
- 1/2 cup ripe banana, mashed with a fork (about 1 banana)
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour or spelt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 ½ Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup grape seed or canola oil
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 banana, split into three sections, squeeze of lemon juice and sprinkling of white sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a large loaf pan (9″ x 5″) with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the banana and sour cream. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg with the brown sugar, vanilla and molasses until the sugar is fully incorporated (no longer gritty). Whisk in the oil. Stir in the dry ingredients, alternating with the mashed bananas, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Stir in the chocolate chips. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- If topping with banana: split the banana down the middle lengthwise, separating it into three sections. Sprinkle 1-2 sections with lemon juice then sugar. Place on top of the batter. Press into the batter slightly.
- Bake for 45 to 55 min.
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more. Here’s the link to subscribe.