Servings: 9-12 serving(s)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
This whole wheat apple snack cake is like a muffin, only easier. Made with 100% whole wheat flour, a full three cups of apple, and sweetened naturally with honey and molasses, this cake is about as wholesome as they get.
I love the idea of a snacking cake. Something that isn’t fancy and can be enjoyed in the morning, or after supper. It almost feels indulgent without actually being over the top.
I also love that a cake is easier to make then a batch of muffins. Just one pan to prep and wash and the baked cake can be easily lifted out of the pan by taking hold of the parchment paper. No loosening around the edges with a butter knife even. And you can slice it into as many pieces as you’d like.
I like to tuck as much healthy stuff as possible into my cakes and this whole wheat apple snack cake recipe makes it easy. It’s made with wholesome whole wheat flour, a healthy oil of your choice, lots of tart apple and natural sweeteners that add loads of flavour.
Whole Wheat Apple Snack Cake Recipe
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¾ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ cup oil (olive, grape seed, canola…)
- ½ cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- ½ cup honey
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups shredded apples*
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line a 9″x 9″ pan with parchment paper or grease it well.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and spices.
- In a separate bowl whisk the oil with the molasses and honey.
- Whisk in eggs.
- Add this wet mixture to the flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Stir in vanilla then grated apples.
- Scrape into prepared pan and bake about 40 minutes.
- Cool in pan 15 minutes then remove to a rack to finish cooling.
*To prepare the apples, peel them first then grate on the large side of a box grater. To measure, sprinkle into the measuring cup, taking care not to pack them in. Once measured, give grated apple a little squeeze to remove some of the juice. (Save juice for another use.)
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more. Here’s the link to subscribe.