Servings: 16 serving(s)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 75 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
Healthy Chocolate Pecan Energy Bites are a healthy snack that travels well. They’re quick and easy to make and last well in the fridge.
Chocolate Pecan Energy Bites make a great healthy snack. They’re gluten-free, vegan and Paleo too.
I’m always on the hunt for road trip snacks. I don’t mind stopping along the way to buy something to eat – it helps to break up the drive and relieve the kids’ boredom. But more often than not, the most satisfying road trip snacks are those that you pack from home.
Cookies are a staple for us, and hard boiled eggs, along with whatever leftovers might be in the fridge. And fruit of course, if we’re travelling within Canada. Chocolate pecan energy bites are the newest addition to my travel snack repertoire.
Chocolate Pecan Energy Bites are the perfect afternoon pick-me-up for those times when you want something with staying power.
The combination of nuts, dates, and unsweetened cocoa powder — along with a little molasses and maple syrup to help bind everything together — creates a healthy treat with substance.
Chocolate Pecan Energy Bites are made made with no refined sugar.
This is a versatile recipe. Molasses helps to make them taste more chocolaty and you could always replace the Tbsp. of maple syrup with more molasses. Or you could use a little honey. The recipe works well with both pecans and walnuts and is especially good when made with a combination of the two. Also, I find the texture is best when I use Medjool dates.
UPDATE: I seem to be making this recipe weekly and have had delicious success with the following combinations:
- School-friendly option: Replace nuts with sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and chia. Delicious as ever! The ratio is: 1/2 cup each of sunflower & pumpkin seeds and 1 Tbsp. chia.
- All cashews.
- Half a cup of cashews and half a cup of walnuts.
This recipe has been adapted from The Rawtarian
Chocolate Pecan Energy Bite Recipe
Makes 16 generous balls
- 1 generous cup pecans or walnuts (or a combination)
- 1 cup pitted dates (lightly packed)
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Whir the nuts in a food processor until crumbly.
- Add the dates and process until nuts and dates are combined.
- Add remaining ingredients and process until the mixture sticks together. (Don’t let it get too smooth – you still want some texture.)
- Form into tablespoon-sized balls and chill.
Nutritional info: Per ball.
- Calories: 99,
- Fat: 6 g,
- Saturated Fat: 1.4 g,
- Cholesterol: 0 mg,
- Sodium: 38.5 mg,
- Carbs: 12.4,
- Sugar: 8.9 g,
- Protein: 1.3,
- Fibre 2.4 g,
- Potassium: 157 mg,
- Calcium: 15.3 mg
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more. Here’s the link to subscribe.