Servings: 12 serving(s)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 33 minutes
Cooking time: 18 minutes
Little house. Big trees. 100 km/h wind gusts.
Torrential rain. No power.
It was a bit of a crazy weekend in the Maritimes.
Watching the trees sway and the branches fly was mesmerizing, like watching the flames of a campfire dance. It was otherworldly, beautiful and a little scary.
But then the sun came out on Sunday afternoon. And all of the neighbours strolled onto our leaf and branch-strewn street. The chainsaws came out and the generators were put away. The raking began.
Lots of enormous trees came down in my little neighbourhood but almost without fail all fell into the woods. Only one basement flooded. We were a lucky bunch.
After Saturday night’s picnic supper by candlelight and Sunday morning breakfast made on the floor, cooking at the stove feels like a treat.
This isn’t a celebration recipe it’s just a tasty example of something you can make if you have a working stove.
This is a no-fat muffin, sort of. Of course buttermilk has a little fat in it (albeit very little) and eggs have a bit of fat. But as far as muffins go this recipe is great — no butter and no oil.
These healthy kitchen sink muffins aren’t lacking in flavour though. What with rolled oats, banana, flax, apple sauce, dried cranberries, walnuts and molasses, these muffins are extra flavourful and have great texture.
Feel free to substitute sunflower seeds for the walnuts or chocolate chips for the dried cranberries, or throw them all in together.
Healthy Kitchen Sink Muffin Recipe
- 1 cup whole wheat or spelt flour (spooned in)
- 1/2 cup flour (spooned in)
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 cup rolled oats (not instant)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or dried cherries
- 1 cup buttermilk*
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a 12-count muffin pan.
- In a large bowl combine flours, ground flax, rolled oats, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, walnuts, and cranberries. Stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the buttermilk, egg, vanilla, banana, applesauce and molasses.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring until it just barely comes together.
- Divide batter among muffin cups and bake for 16-18 minutes, or until deep golden brown.
*Can use half milk half yogurt or sour your milk with 1 Tbsp. of vinegar
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email.
We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. Our Making Life Delicious newsletter includes cooking tips, menu ideas and featured recipes. Here’s the link to our monthly email sign-up form.