A plain old molasses cookie that isn`t so plain…
Molasses and coffee is one of my favourite combinations. I love it in marinades and in cakes but this is the first time that I have come across it in a cookie recipe. Turns out the molasses-coffee combo has been around for eons. In fact, this recipe likely dates back to the 1800s.
The coy coffee flavour makes the cookie feel decidedly modern in taste. And it`s a little deceptive — if you didn`t know there was coffee in the recipe you might be hard pressed to figure out what the extra yummy flavour is.
If you’re looking for an everyday kind of cookie that’s simple and satisfying I’d say this is for you.
Definitely an afterschool sort of cookie in our house, you can dress them up with a little leftover frosting or may be some jam, or sandwich with frosting and jam.
I made this batch with two cups of white flour and one cup of barley flour but suit yourself. You can use all white flour or mix is a little whole grain. The spicing is mild but if you prefer a bit of a kick double the ground ginger called for.
Chewy molasses coffee cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 egg well-beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 c. coffee (hot and strong)
- 3 cup flour, spooned in
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ginger
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Add baking soda to coffee while still hot, let cool.
- In a medium bowl beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add the following and beat after each addition: molasses, egg, vanilla and cooled coffee mixture.
- In another bowl mix flour, cinnamon and ginger. Add dry mixture to creamed mixture a little at a time, stirring with a spoon.
- Drop by spoonful onto parchment lined cookie sheet with about 2 1/2 inches in between.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 8 minutes.
If you love simple cookies try our recipe for Brown Sugar Sandwich Cookies.
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. The sign-up form is on the top right hand side of this page. We’d love to send you our monthly email too. Our Making Life Delicious newsletter includes cooking tips, menu ideas and featured recipes. Here’s the link to our monthly email sign-up form.
Here’s to eating well, everyday,